Monday, May 31, 2010

What a WEEKEND!

 We have had quite the weekend ! On Thursday night, the volcano closest to our home erupted . It had been raining for a few hours (not unusual.. it's rain season here ) but then neighbors were outside and everyone is looking into the sky.... pebble like stuff was coming down with the rain. Turns out it was volcanic "ash" ( more like finely made black gravel to me)... very bizarre. It had the feeling of a snow storm in the states but it wasn't cold at all and instead of wet clothes there IS black stuff all in our home and in our hair... little tiny pebbles of sand like material... really WEIRD ! Then we received a tropical storm on top of that with no time to recover from the damage caused from the volcano. Many people have died and many have lost their homes. Large pieces of land have disappeared into the earth below surface level... very bizarre.... Most all of this kind of damage has been far from us. We are grateful however, because this storm was being told to us by the Embassy on Friday as a potential cyclone... we really could have received far worse than what we did... I can't imagine needing to evacuate our country but found myself wandering just how that would even happen... our airport was shut down due to the volcano the day before. We have only had to deal with the "ash" from the volcano but then there was massive amounts of water too. Fortunately for us we are on an incline and our home nor the others in our area were damaged. We are grateful to everyone who even had one second of a thought towards our family this past weekend... we actually were able to have a very peaceful weekend among a country that suffered much while we were dry, together and unharmed. Hard to understand how we deserved to be spared from so much so close to our door but except the truth that we just weren't meant to understand it all.....

Much love from the beautiful country of Guatemala... Serving Jesus with you ~ m

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart has been heavy for the people that you have come to love. I thought that you guys were probably pretty protected and safe. But, I know you guys well enough to know that this devastation for the people you are serving touches you in many ways. Continuing to pray for your sweet family.

We should have brought you guys rain boots:)

Unknown said...

now I know why you have been so heavy on my heart! I love each of you so much. For just a few minutes close your eyes and we are sitting on your couch feet tucked under us and sipping hot tea, laughing and sharing a hug. OK, there I feel a little better, not really but I'm goona keep telling myself I do! Love to you my sweet friend!

Anonymous said...

Melinda,
I have been praying for you so much. I have been missing you,too.

I'm going to close my eyes and pretend we are out by the pool in Antigua-- with me wearing a tennis shoe and bathing suit, of course.

Love you guys