Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pumpkins, fireplaces and travel .... beinvenido Novembre(welcome November)

I feel like I should start off saying... " Good morning America !"...why? I have NO idea. It just feels like it should be a chilly day, leaves on the ground, smell of a fire in the fireplace, pumpkins, fall festivals, oh...the list goes on and on and my "Fall feelings of home in America are pungent today. BUT today it's a sunny 80-ish day, no signs of pumpkins and for sure , NO leaves ! Too funny ! Therefore, I am demonstrating with my own protest to lack of fall weather and listening to Christmas music ALL day ! It's just Grace, myself and the "little guys" here anyway and they all love Christmas music as much as I do and so it won't be a violent protest, just my own to say that I 'm so thankful to be here but pumpkins and leaves and a little chilly weather will always have a place in the Southern girls heart at the first part of November..nothin' wrong with that right?

Speaking of those of us here in Guatemala listening to Christmas music... the rest of my crew , plus my father in law and (according to  Tyler's prayer the other night) the "grey headed people" (I'm sure they would love that..I'll leave their names out to protect the innocent. They ARE from our home town) ...anyway, they are headed home today from installing 50 homes with water filters. Some of the homes were as much as a 5 mile hike up into the woods of the mountain. I can't wait to hear their stories. For now and today I just wanted to see if while I am "protesting" with music celebrating Jesus's birthday (with GREAT JOY) I wanted to see if anyone who stops by here today would pray for travel safety for the team as they drive back. They are in our family car and while the brakes definetly work they are also definetly not the best . They ended up having to take our family car literally at the last minute and therefore, it had not been tuned up. Those of you who have made that trip are probably between shocked, fearful and cracking up......between animals, people, bicycles, motos, tuk-tuks all driving amongst each other ..and I do mean "amongst" in an each man for himself style unique to Latin America, they could use, and I would so love you standing in the gap with me for their safety today !

Muchas gracias de Guatemala !
Mel
* please graciously overlook my spelling ... my spell check is apparently on the fritz and possibly protesting with me today (smile) ...it doesn't appear to be clocking in for duty! 

3 comments:

Ms. Tomi said...

Good afternoon from Blairsville in the mountains of NE Georgia where Fall is indeed present. God has so beautifully colored the leaves with His splendor. Yes, the smell of hot apple cider is in my house.
The smell of damp rain falling is our gift today. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

We miss all of you bunches. Let His Son shine in all your music for Christmas season. Enjoy!!

The Warden Family said...

Hey Melinda - said a prayer for safe travels this morning. We've got the windows open as we are pushing 80's in the afternoon too! I think I miss the most is fall and all the activities it brings! We need to skype sometime soon. Yes our recent "furlough" if you can even call it that was only for a month. Talk to you soon!

stephanye said...

M-It finally got cold this weekend. It seemed to go from 80's to 30's in 0 to 60:)

I bought a Christmas CD 2 weeks, ago. I have been trying to put off listening until at least November. I had a room mate in college who liked to listen to it year round. I wouldn't let her. However, as I have gotten older I listen to it sooner and sooner. And, it makes me think of her.

So, glad to hear from you. Love from the SOUTH!