Monday, June 8, 2009

First news from Guatemala

THANK YOU for your PRAYERS ! Our family has NEVER taken a flight with 32 pieces of luggage  and 3 1/2 hours of flight time ...(of course...who would be crazy enough to do that for fun -smile) and we KNEW that many people were praying because it was SOOOO smooth. Things were a bit crazy feeling trying to get that many pieces of luggage checked but we survived thanks to Stephanie (an old pro at that )  and both of our parents who watched little ones for us while we taped and weighted everything. Our field director met us at the airport when we landed and it took us two vehicles to get everything to our house.... no, I don't have photos of our house yet. But I will get those out quickly. The Lord has blessed us so much and our temporary housing is no exception. It is so unique. It is a square shape house with big wooden "castle" style doors in the front. It is attached to other houses on the sides. You go in the doors and instead of being inside the house you are standing in a courtyard that has the other rooms lining up around it. I will try to make a video and post it because it is a far cry from a southern style house - smile- Also, yesterday it poured rain ( this is the rain season for us) and because the middle of the house is open .....YES it rained in the center of our HOUSE ! I will also try to video tape that . 
* I am so tired from doing everyday things that take FOREVER to do ....ie, groceries.... Cooper and I took aprx 45 minutes to buy aprox 10 items and had to carry them back to our home on foot for about 1 1/2 miles. (whew) ... It was not a quick spin to Kroger or Walmart. But I wouldn't trade this for anything! I sat for a few minutes today and tried to think back to when the exact time was that God must have called me individually into this role and foreign country and I couldn't . There are so many things in my life personally that have given me the faith to do this amazing work ! I am humbled. David and I both feel like our entire marriage journey has been in preparation for this country. I have never felt so immediately at "home" and been so far from "home" all at the same time. Please forgive me for not emailing anyone individually yet. It is very difficult to get to the cafe and then due to safety and night curfew we must leave in a minute. (We are very safe where we are living but need to be aware just the same.) The children are doing well and there adjustments are coming at a different speed than David and I . We are encouraged that God is covering us in both protection and plan. We would gratefully and humbly ask that you continue to pray for us all. Especially our children. We are easily homesick and the reality that we are not on vacation is present but the truth of God's call is so much louder in our ears. We are in love with the notion of being here with the Lord and waiting on the difficulties to pass ... confident that God will bring great measures of peace and grace. 

Thank you to each person who is a part of our team. Even if you are simply reading this blog you are on our team. Thank you for your prayers and comments. I was so encouraged and my spirits lifted at reading them. 
Good night from Guatemala ! You are all dearly loved by us -
Mel

4 comments:

The Warden Family said...

Hey guys! So glad to 'hear' a peace that seems to be in your hearts as I read this update. I find the Lord prompting me to pray for you and different time of the day. It's been amazing to be on this journey with you all.

J

Robin said...

Awesome news...we will continue to pray for you and your family. May the peace of God that passes all understanding guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus...

Jennifer said...

Praying for you tonight and so thankful to hear an update--that you ar eon the ground and in your new home. Much love!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Evans family. We are so glad you arrived safely and the Lord is showing you His presence. You are missed. You will be prayed for.
Stephanye