Monday, January 4, 2010

Food For Fellowship

One of my favorite blogs to read is Bobbie and Jessie Gill. They are busy in another part of the world , raising a family, embracing a new culture, etc. Bobbie must be a wonderful cook. She often will post photos of meals they have shared with family and friends. Her food always LOOKS sooo beautiful. Anyway, we are here in our new country and it can be hard to find ways to get to know our neighbors. On Christmas eve night, while all of the fire works were going off, I met a precious girl who is my neighbor on another street. She is expecting twins which is VERY unusual here. I thought ..hmmmm... I love cookies and I can say that in Spanish (smile) so I decided to bake her some and carry them to her home. Well, several dozen cookies later she still has not gotten her cookies. Apparently, she and her husband are very busy and seldom home. However, I have never come back home with my cookies. There is always someone out in the neighborhood to say hello to and pass them off to . One of the neatest things was one night (late) carrying these cookies to her house ..to find that she wasn't home... Grayson and I decided to carry them to our KOREAN neighbors. The cool thing was there was no way for them to know that our finances were tight that week( like everyone else right at Christmas) and when I gave her our cookies she wanted to give me a gift. She quickly ran inside and came back with potatoes.. a basket of them.... I was THRILLED !!!!! There I was giving her something sweet and of all things she came back with POTATOES...something that I can stretch and enjoy for SEVERAL meals ! Only the Lord... so, David has had a coffee ministry when we lived in Antigua and now , maybe I will start a cookie ministry !



These are the turtle cookies that I made many times over the holidays.
Take your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and make balls on wax paper. Stick a pecan in the top, sides and bottom of the ball of dough. Bake at 375 for aprx. 10 min. Wah - lah !

These are the wonderful potatoes that our neighbors so generously shared with us.

No comments: