Thursday, January 21, 2010

Making Friends


This is my sweet friend (in the pink) and her family. She also works with  Food for the Hungry. Her family lives in Nabaj and she took me by her family home. This photo is her mother (in green ), two sisters left and right and both of her nieces. The baby is hers.


This is her father. What an amazing man. He lost is left eye to cancer and literally has no eye and yet gardens. He grows the most beautiful flowers. I asked him which were his favorite and these are the ones he chose...beautiful huh? !











This is a wood burning stove. They only cook bread in this and only during certain times of the year. At Easter they share this stove with their community of people and women bake bread socially together as part of their Easter celebration. I'm in for this Easter and can't wait !


This is their family stove. Myself and two other people showed up at their home right when they were finishing cooking their meal. I was so humbled as this elderly couple gave the food that they had cooked for themselves to me and my friend. They were so proud to have guest. They sat us at the table and then stood at the wall themselves while we at. I don't know if you can tell but inside the pot is a black trash bag. Inside the bag is a corn meal with HUGE kidney type beans rolled into a "roll" type food. Under the trash bag is some water and it acts as a steaming pot. They also served us coffee that was so delicious it tasted like chocolate milk!!!! Divine !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What amazing, humble people. Can't wait to meet some of your friends.
I pray you are all well.

The Warden Family said...

If all coffee tasted like chocolate milk I would become a coffee drinker! Loved reading about your experience. You will have to send me some of your Easter bread...sounds great!

Anonymous said...

hey,
what size shoes do your big boys wear?