Wednesday, September 2, 2009

We've found bulk buying in Guatemala!

This is only going to be appreciated by families with many children or lots of visitors one. My news of the week is that we have found bulk buying for our groceries in Guatemala! For the last 3 1/2 months we have been buying items for 1 or MAYBE two meals at a time. One reason was because of the tote home. In Antigua the walk was ridiculous for lots of groceries and tuk - tuk's were...well, unsafe to say the least. You generally travel in those on an empty stomach and with an adventurous spirit...not several children and food. (smile) . So, over the weekend we found a "Sams" style opportunity here and we took it. Much prep work had to go into this adventure and it would have cracked you up to see us. First, we had to do a trial run through the store to see what items we would be purchasing on our "real" trip. Second, we had to intrust our children to someone while we would be gone for potentially three hours even though the store is only 5 or so miles away. Third, we mad a RUN for it. We quickly and "eye -sorely" went through the store filling up two buggies to the brim. NO ONE else in the store even had 1 buggy full of stuff ...much less 2 buggies. We are feeding a crew here and everyone is packing lunches for school and work plus as people know me won't be surprised ...we have had a couple of folks staying with us off and on...lots of food. HOWEVER, we know a family who had someone follow them home from this store and intended to steal their car and ended up stealing the car AND their child... so, David was VERY serious about safety FIRST. He parked our "get away " car at the end of the parking area.. right next to the exit lane and in we ran.... out we came. David stuffed 2 buggies of groceries into our sedan and I held a stake out looking for anyone who might look suspicious hovering around our vehicle. Next, David cranked the car...locked all of the doors... I ran and returned our buggy and JUMPED in the vehicle as it rolled out of the parking space. I was somewhat stunned at my husbands "get away " reflexes... we've never really used those much in our married life. Then again, we 've never encountered Central America as a living option before. smile- Only minutes from the store and several miles down the road I loosened my grip on the seat and sweetly suggested to my husband that we could probably slow down now and that surely his speed was an adrenaline rush. He quickly replied that this was our "get away " method and I just needed to get used to it.... He reminded me soberly that we had just spent in a few hours on two weeks worth of groceries what most Guatemalans make for a two month salary.
Somehow, I think that God wants us to see the prosperity that we have in our little part of the world that he has us in .... we ARE seeing ever so clearly that we are blessed and nourished to pour ourselves out for the sake of the poverished and broken. Our story of restoration into Gods right perspective on necessities may be the greatest story we bring home from Guatemala.

May we NEVER be the same,
Mel

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanking God for His sweet provision for your family. Thanking him for His protection of you all, as well.
I am a Sam's girl.

Amy Davis said...

I could totally picture the whole story in my head...laughing all the way - though I know at the time, this was serious business! Thankful for the Lord's provision in what seems small but for a big family is quite HUGE!

Slowing brain washing my children into the idea that a trip to Guatemala next summer would be an excellent Christmas gift...we'll see!

Love you and pray for you daily!

Jennifer said...

Wow! I had an adrenaline rush just reading this!! Glad you were safe.

Linda Furner said...

Hi Strangers, just ran across your blog. I'm having a ball reading your posts. I LOVE your family picture....everyone is so grown up. We love you all!